Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Speech Evaluation # 2

Last Wednesday, I gave a persuasive speech on animal rights vs. animal welfare, which can be seen by clicking here. After my introduction, I gave an explanation and an overview of my topic. I began with talking about animal rights, but then switched to animal welfare to leave the audience with the good side of animal agriculture. In regards to my physical presentation, I felt like my volume and clarity of my voice were satisfactory. At certain points, I showed more energy and enthusiasm, but at other times, I showed less and took a more serious approach. My eye contact could not have better and I did include some body language. After watching the video of myself, I did notice I leaned on the podium at certain times. My use of visual aids seemed to work out well. I used the pictures on my PowerPoint to be incorporated well in my speech, especially the first one which I used to throw off the audience before making my opposing point. The information I decided to put on my slide was relevant to my topic and concise when I felt like it needed to be. In my conclusion, I used the last slide, although stealing part of the idea from Mitch's speech to offer a comical, yet appropriate ending to my speech. At the same time, my last sentence gave a call to the audience to learn more about animal welfare. If I could do it over again, I would pick the same topic, because it is a topic that is very relevant to my life and one which needs to be talked about more. In regards to my speech and visual aid I would not change much. If I could do it over again, however, I would change how much I prepared the speaking portion of my speech. At times I was at a loss for words due to my lack of preparation and my speech would have gone smoother if I had prepared better. Besides my lack of prepartion, I felt the speech went well and I made some good points in favor of animal welfare.

No comments:

Post a Comment